Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Truly Triumphant

Day 710 - Run: Who knows

Dear friends,
I know it has been like 3 months since I've written and I'm sorry, but for those of you who don't know...
I'M PREGNANT!

I'm 23 weeks and having a boy! I am extremely excited!

I had this two year long dream of running through my pregnancy. Running through my park with this huge belly and being like "Yeah, that's right! I'm pregnant and running!" but for some lame and unknown reason ( I couldn't get my butt up early enough to go before work and after a long day with 22 five year olds I just couldn't muster up enough energy to go after work) I became inconsistent with my runs and eventually fell out of the habit. I gained almost 10 lbs and then got pregnant. I thought all was lost when I started feeling queasy because my running brain said, "If it's above the neck you go and if it's below the neck you stay in." I tried to run through the queasy and that didn't bode well for my desire to keep running. My morning sickness wasn't even that bad, but I was also exhausted beyond anything I'd ever felt before that it just became too much of a chore and was no longer enjoyable. At 12 weeks pregnant I tried to run again but something didn't feel right and I was afraid of doing any damage. Any time I tried to jog it was painful. I even went for a long walk with a friend that I thought was going to kill me because my hips felt so out of whack!

I've gone swimming once and it was the most amazing feeling to be so active again without pain or fear of hurting my growing baby! It was fantastic and I plan on swimming more this summer!

At my appointment last Thursday my midwife suggested that I walk at least a mile a day and so I am determined to do that!

So here's the cool part.... I went for my walk today and was listening to one of my running playlists while taking one of my old running routes that I know is about 1.25 miles long. About .8 miles in I just couldn't take the slow walking pace anymore! It was driving me nuts... so I decided to try jogging a little, figuring it was probably going to hurt and I would have to stop and finish my walk in boredom. However, I started jogging a little and I was doing just fine! It felt so good! I was out of breath as I lumbered down the street! I was definitely going easy and not giving it my all, but  I WAS JOGGING!! It was AWESOME! I jogged all the way home,and only took a few stops! It was great! My knee did start getting stiff and I'm still obviously going to continue with caution but I was just excited to be moving that I have to try it again tomorrow!

Thank you for your continued support and I look forward to sharing more moments of triumph with you for the last 17 weeks of this pregnancy! I might even post our birth story on here... we'll see!



No comments:

Post a Comment