Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Starting to get better!

Day 5: Run 4
I didn't think I was going to get to run today, but I did! My husband leaves around 5am and I couldn't get back to sleep after he left. So I laid there for a while and eventually decided to get up and eat something. Then I decided that I had plenty of time to go on a run. So I did!

  • Motivation: I had extra time and I had a trial of a music app that is going to expire tomorrow and I felt like I needed to get my use of it while I could.

  • Pathway: Today was EASIER! It might be because it was morning time, but I'm not sure. I was running so early that the park gate wasn't opened but I noticed it wasn't locked and slipped in!

  • Thankful for: Looking up how to treat side aches/ side stitches. I had a really bad one during my last run. I still got one today, but I knew what to do! Also I am thankful that nobody said anything about sneaking through the gate. (I think the park was open, just the gate wasn't)

Information about side aches/side stitches:

What is a side ache?-
Side ache and side stitch are the same thing. No one truly knows what causes them. It is believed to be when the ligaments that attach the diaphragm to the internal organs gets strained. The jarring movement of running and breathing in and out stretches these ligaments. The much more technical and scientific term, "exercise-related transient abdominal pain" (ETAP).

Prevention-
  • Breathe quick and shallow breaths.
    • This really helped me today
  • While breathing you should try to exhale on your left foot or inhale on your right.
    • I tried this and it was hard to try and match my breathing with my running. 
Treatment-
  • Once it starts, stop running. Take deep, slow breaths. This is to try to relax your muscles.
    • This helped me, I didn't stop moving though I kept walking.
  • Try pushing in on the stitch.
    • I pressed up under my rib cage and it seemed to help cure it quicker so I could keep going.
Here are the links to where I got all this information from:
The Side Stitch
and
Runner's World: Beginners Only




No comments:

Post a Comment